Thursday, March 24, 2011

Carlos Torano 1916 Churchill

Carlos Torano 1916 Churchill
7"x48
Wrapper: Cameroon
Filler: Nicaraguan/Honduran long filler
Drank water with it


This is just a sleek, good-looking cigar.  It has two band and stored in cedar.  It is a rich looking Cameroon wrapper with a few sun spots.  since I ordered them, I was itching to try one.  If you read any of my other reviews, you know I love a full-bodied, robustly spiced cigar with a large ring gauge.  Now it was time for something different.






1st Third


I used a medium punch and toasted the end.  Upon lighting this stick, I noticed the flavor coming through very nicely.  It had an easy draw with a good cool burn.  As I smoked the first third, the tobacco mellowed slightly allowing the wood and slight spice flavors to come through.  the flavors melded well together, creating a very nice mild to medium flavor.  Now back to the cool burn ....


I was amazed as every draw actually gave me the sensation of cooling my tongue.  This was not like the cooling effect of a breath mint or menthol, just an effect of cigar flavored air passing over my tongue.
The cigar burned evenly with a razor sharp edge on the ash.


2nd Third


I had some trouble in the second third.  The thin wrapper started to peel away from the stick a little.  I had to touch it up a bit and it was fine.  However, it did go out once.  I re-lit it right away and then, no problem.
During the second third, I got exactly what I expected.  A gentle progression to a little more wood and spice flavors.  Still, I was amazed at the "cooling" effect I described earlier.


Final Third


The intensity of the smoke picked up again, however, gently.  At this point, the "cooling effect" was still there, but fading somewhat.  I smoked this one to the nub, enjoying every soothing draw.


Overall


This is a tasty smoke.  It is the type of stick that a veteran smoker can enjoy and appreciate, yet at the same time, a novice smoker can enjoy.  I would definitely like to try this smoke after a nice light dinner (grilled halibut with a tropical salad of some sorts) and a Roussanne wine.


Also, I plan having this stick with various other drinks.  My guess is that this stick brings out the flavors of different liquors, changing the mood of the cigar based on the drink.  Let's see, I am going to smoke several of these and try different drinks with each one I smoke ... look for some drunken posting soon!


OMAR SAYS: 14/19

No comments:

Post a Comment